Have you ever walked in an office where multiple lights were left on in unoccupied rooms? Have you ever thought that small businesses can also do their part to make this planet greener? Small businesses are faced with numerous expenses. One of the most expensive bills industries are faced with is their monthly electric bill. Some business owners are unaware that small changes could save their business thousands of dollars in the long run.
Here are our Top 5 Energy-Saving Tips:
- Replace any standard light bulbs with energy-saving compact florescent lamps, also known as CFLs. These last 10 times longer than traditional light bulbs and use less energy.
- Take advantage of “free” light by opening blinds whenever it’s quite bright outside. This alone can save your business quite a bit of money on your electricity bill.
- Before leaving the office, reduce the thermostat 5 degrees for 8 or more hours. Ten percent of heating costs can be reduced from this simple adjustment.
- During the winter months, keep blinds and curtains open at windows that face the sun. This allows for solar heat to heat the room. This is essentially "free" heat.
- Unplug laptops, computers and other office equipment at the end of each day. Electronics continue to use power when they're plugged in, even if there off.