- Visiting social sites is now the 4th most popular online activity—ahead of personal e-mail.
- Time spent on social networks is growing at 3 times the overall Internet rate, accounting for approx. 10% of all internet time.
- 5,000,000,000: The number of minutes spent on Facebook each day.
- With over 400,000,000 individual users, if Facebook were a country, its population would only be surpassed by China and India.
- The percentage of small businesses incorporating social media has doubled in the last year. (12% to 24%).
- 45% of surveyed business owners believed their social media initiatives will pay off financially in 12 months or less.
- The two most popular sites are Facebook and LinkedIn, while Twitter has yet to catch on with small business owners.
University of Maryland, Smith School of Business, March 2010